Our ten academic departments offer a variety of courses, majors, minors, and certificates. Visit our academic catalog to learn more.
- Experience field and lab techniques while conducting immersive research projects, such as studying ecology in Yellowstone National Park or performing in-depth laboratory projects cloning genes.
- The Biology program allows students to conduct real-world applications of their studies during internships so they are prepared for their future careers.
Business & Technology
- In the B&T Department, students take courses from professors with real-world business experience.
- Students work directly with engaged professors in a small class setting: they know you and you know them.
- Montana Western is ranked among the best colleges in America by Money Magazine.
- Graduates from Education programs at Montana Western go on to have fulfilling careers making a difference in children’s lives all over the state and across the nation.
- Whether taking Education classes on campus or online, students get plenty of immersive field experiences in a wide variety of classrooms.
- With state-of-the-art facilities on campus and highly-developed online resources, Montana Western trains teachers who can teach today’s students.
- The English Department at the University of Montana Western is an intellectual haven for students with a passion for reading and writing.
- Moving beyond traditional approaches, the English program encourages students to develop their own voices. Students respond critically, culturally and creatively to literature in seminars and small classes that promote active learning and experiential opportunities.
- Our department’s dedication to hands-on learning and our students’ success have led us to become one of the nation’s top-ranked environmental science programs.
- Our award-winning faculty create exceptional educational experiences that prepare our students to pursue environmental careers with state and federal government agencies, non-profit organizations and private industry as environmental scientists and managers, sustainability specialists and naturalists.
- The Equine Studies Department at UMW is the only university to offer a bachelor’s degree in Natural Horsemanship with options in equine management, psychology, science and instruction.
- The option areas are specific to the areas that students select to be their career path and provide the knowledge needed to enter the equine industry with confidence.
- The program teaches students proven methods and techniques for horse training that focus on cooperation and a relationship built on trust.
- Fine Arts Department courses allow students the time needed to fully focus on the creative process from conception to production and critique.
- Montana Western’s inspired faculty are committed to the arts and to fostering the skills, visions and passions of art students.
Health & Human Performance
- The HHP Department at the University of Montana Western exposes students to a wide variety of courses in areas including exercise science, kinesiology, coaching, health, and physical activity.
- Experiential learning is a focus of all HHP courses ranging from physical activity courses to exercise science and biomechanics work in our state-of-the-art Health and Human Performance Laboratory.
History, Philosophy & Social Sciences
- Students graduating with majors from History, Philosophy and Social Sciences have many options and find success in a variety of careers and acceptance into graduate and law programs across the country.
- Our graduates are employed in a variety of disciplines including education, social work, public service, law enforcement and museum and research positions.
- Utilizes Experience One to provide students with the hands-on skills and experience needed to accurately gather and analyze data, which is applicable to every field of study.
- Our students have gone on to conduct research at NASA, publish in peer-reviewed journals, formulate policy for the National Academy of Sciences and become award-winning educators.
To learn more about Montana Western, visit www.umwestern.edu or call our Office of Admissions at 877-683-7331 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.